Tuesday 30 October 2012

Halloween with a bite interview with Tracey H. Kitts!

Hey Book Lovers! 

Today I have a special treat for you all to sink your fangs into! Please give a warm welcome to Tracey H. Kitts, author of Bitten! 

1. Hi, Tracey! I am so thrilled to have you here today! Please give us some background to my followers about Bitten? 

Bitten is one of those stories that was a true pleasure to write. Even more so than usual for me. It’s the story of Sandra Ashton, a witch who is lonely despite her proficiency in love spells. However, Sandra will not be lonely forever. Through the course of the story she becomes involved with not one, but three handsome vampires. There are many things I love about this book that has nothing to do with the hot vampire ménage part. Ha. Ha. Ha. But, I don’t want to give too much away.
2. Why did you re-edit and expand Bitten?
Bitten was previously under contract with a publisher. However, since then the rights have reverted to me. I’ve learned a lot in the 5 years since I was first published. I wanted to be sure this book was the very best it could be. And I wanted to elaborate on a few things.

2. Why did you re-edit and expand Bitten?
 
Bitten was previously under contract with a publisher. However, since then the rights have reverted to me. I’ve learned a lot in the 5 years since I was first published. I wanted to be sure this book was the very best it could be. And I wanted to elaborate on a few things.

3. Do you have any writing tips to pass onto my followers?

Don’t take every critical remark to heart. Constructive criticism is a very different thing than being insulted. There are always people waiting to insult you and your work. If what they say rings true, you’ll know it. If it just makes you mad, then do something that makes you feel better and go on about your day. Oh, and if bashing them with a meat mallet would make you feel better, DON’T do that. Ha. Ha. Have a nice cup of coffee or a bubble bath or something instead.

4. Would you ever do a book tour? 

To brick and mortar stores you mean? I would love to. One day when I have the funding, I might.

5. As you know my favourite book of yours is 'Frank and the Werewolf Tamer'. Which was a refreshing take on Frankenstein. Is Bitten, in your opinion, another refreshing take on witches and vampires?

I would love to think that everything I write is refreshing. (Yes, I’m teasing, but it’s a nice thought.) For me, Bitten was a journey inside the life of a witch I wouldn’t mind knowing in real life. I hope others will feel the same way.
6. What other paranormal beings have you written about?

I have written about everything from vampires and werewolves to wizards, demi-gods, and a fae shaman.

7. Halloween is one of my favourite holidays because you can dress up and pretend to be someone else. Is Halloween your favourite holiday and why?
Absolutely! I love Halloween. October is my favorite month because here in Florida, that’s when the temperature finally begins to drop. It’s like a blessing to feel the cool wind against my face instead of stepping into a sauna every day. Halloween happens at the perfect time of year, in my opinion. I love the colors associated with most of the decorations, orange, black, purple, and green. I love growing pumpkins, carving jack-o-lanterns, and giving candy to friends and strangers. I love costumes, bizarre makeup, and scary movies. I even love candy corn. You don’t have to visit relatives, or host parties if you don’t want to. There’s no pressure to buy gifts or bake a turkey. Ha. Ha. Halloween is by far my favorite holiday.
8. What are you doing for Halloween?

At the moment, the only plan that is definite is my cousin’s Pumpkin Carving Party. Her birthday is Halloween and we really enjoy getting together. There will be lots of food (including my famous Graveyard/Ghost Cake) and it will be a blast. I may also have a cookout at my house, but that’s still undecided.

9. Do you have any Halloween recipes to share with us? 

Sure. I would love to share my Graveyard Cake recipe. It’s much easier than it might sound and it turns out so cute.
Ingredients for your Graveyard/Ghost Cake
Don’t forget to use your own imagination here. You can use whatever you like as a topping. I’ve seen everything from bloody graves (strawberry syrup) to witch hats made from candy corn. Plus, if you’re lactose intolerant (like me) you can make this using lactose free milk. It tastes just the same. 
1 box Devil’s food Cake Mix, mixed and baked as directed

12 oz. Oreo Cookies, crushed


6-10 Oval shaped Butter Cookies (Pepperidge Farm Milanoes work well. I’ve also used chocolate wafers dipped in chocolate before too.)


White Icing


Chocolate Icing (or white with black food coloring to make a nice gray)


Assorted tubes of Cake Decorating Gel in Halloween colors

(orange, yellow, brown, etc.)

1 cup Candy Corn or Pumpkin Shaped Candies


Several small gummy worms (Or whatever you like)



Putting your Graveyard/Ghost cake together



Bake cake according to package directions or recipe and let it cool completely.


Spread on the icing


Top with Crushed Oreo Cookies


Using gel frostings to write spooky and funny sayings on the top half of the cookies such as "BOO", "RIP", “ILMAO,” “B.A. GOUL,” etc.


Press the cookies halfway down into the cake here and there to resemble standing tombstones. Tilt a couple of them.


You can randomly place gummy worms around in your graveyard or whatever other candy you like. 


If you want to do the ghosts, I put some white icing into a plastic bag and snip the tip. Squeeze out into little ghosts shapes (again randomly) over the cake. Remember, they don’t need to be perfect, just look like little ghosts. If they look kinda like snow men, don’t worry. Make a little point at the top of their heads by running a toothpick through the icing and pulling upward. TADA! You’re done!

Serves 8-12.

Now, if your oven isn’t working and/or you don’t feel like baking, you can always read Bitten. It’s a way to turn up the temperature, no assembling required. Ha. Ha.



10. Is there anything else you'd like to add or tell us about you, your books or just anything?   

I absolutely love what I do. I write for a living and I can’t think of any better job in the world. I’ve never written about the paranormal because of its recent surge in popularity. I write about it because that’s what interests me. I’ve always been drawn to the macabre. My mom used to tell me that I should stop reading “werewolf and vampire trash.” That’s the label she put on any horror novels I read. Naturally, that didn’t stop me. My dad has always loved science fiction and fantasy, so he got me into that. Since I also enjoyed reading romance, I suppose it’s not so strange I ended up writing a combination of all those elements. Paranormal romance really is a mixture of horror, romance, science fiction, and fantasy. 

A lot of people have also asked me why I write erotic paranormal romance. It’s really simple. I’m not trying to cash in on the erotica surge either. Although, I won’t lie and say that increased sales aren’t great. Ha. Ha. Ha. As a reader, I never liked books that I felt closed the door in my face. I want to hear the whole story. The sex is part of the story or it shouldn’t be there. That’s the way I feel about it. Plus, writing explicit scenes doesn’t bother me in the slightest.
Okay, it’s time for more coffee for me. Thank you so much for having me and I hope everyone enjoys the recipe!



BITTEN BY TRACEY H. KITTS!

Sandra Ashton is a witch who suddenly finds herself dating three vampires. So, what do you do when you’ve got three immortal beings professing their undying or is that undead love for you? You agree to what they like to call, “joint custody.”

WARNING: This book contains graphic language, violence, and lots of sex.

This book was previously published. It has since been revised, re-edited, and expanded. 




Where you can buy this book:


For more of Tracey H. Kitts books then please check out her website ---> http://www.traceyhkitts.com/ 
Feel free to leave comments below and ask Tracey any questions you may have :) 


 







Thank you so much Tracey for joining us today! I hope everyone has wonderful Halloween and enjoys Bitten as much as I have!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks again for having me as a guest today. :) I baked this cake recently and I had forgotten how good it was. LOL

    I hope everyone checks out Bitten and enjoys the recipe.

    ReplyDelete